CALGARY, Alta. – Canada’s National Para Hockey Team will continue its 2022-23 season with a stop in Elmira, Ont., for a three-game series against the United States, March 13-18 at the Woolwich Memorial Centre.
Two goaltenders, eight defencemen and 10 forwards were selected to participate in the series by head coach Russ Herrington (Unionville, Ont./York University, OUA), Tyler Dietrich (West Vancouver, B.C.), director of hockey operations, and Marshall Starkman (Thornhill, Ont.), manager of hockey operations. Assistant coaches Mike Foligno (Sudbury, Ont.) and Mike Fountain (Gravenhurst, Ont.) also provided input.
“The series against the United States is an important step in our season, as it gives our athletes an opportunity to play against high-calibre competition in preparation for this year’s world championship,” Herrington said. “Elmira has been a great host of the National Para Hockey Team and a supporter of the program for many years, and we are excited to return to the community for the first time since 2020 and give hockey fans in the area a chance to watch two of the top teams in the world.”
The team will travel to Elmira on March 12, with the full Team Canada schedule including five practices and a trio of games — March 15 and 17 at 7 p.m. ET, and March 18 at 4 p.m. ET. The series marks the first time the teams have met since the gold medal game at the 2022 Para Hockey Cup in Bridgewater, N.S., in December.
The staff that will work with Canada’s National Para Hockey Team at the series includes:
- Video coach James Emery (Calgary, Alta.)
- Guest coach Scott Walker (Cambridge, Ont.)
- Team physicians Dr. Roy Diklich (Windsor, Ont./Windsor, OHL) and Dr. Danielle Kelton (Guelph, Ont.)
- Physiotherapist Michael Lenart (Keswick, Ont.)
- Exercise physiologist Nicole Bewski (Winnipeg, Man./CSI Calgary)
- Mental performance consultant Kyle McDonald (Regina, Sask.)
- Equipment manager A.J. Murley (St. John’s, N.L.)
- Hockey operations coordinator Hannah Curlock (Calgary, Alta.)
For more information on Hockey Canada and Canada’s National Para Hockey Team, please visit HockeyCanada.ca, or follow along via social media on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.