United States 9, Latvia 0
• U.S. captain Cole Knuble scored a goal and tied the tournament record with four assists.
• Eric Pohlkamp had a hat trick.
• Mac Swanson added a goal and three assists.
• Christian Manz made 12 saves for the shutout.
Sweden 4, Canada East 1
• Felix Nilsson had two assists for Sweden.
• Landon Brownlee (Finch, Ont./Hawkesbury, CCHL) scored for Canada East.
• Hugo Pettersson and Tom Willander each scored on the power play for Sweden.
• Teodor Manther made 29 saves for the win.
Next games (semifinals) – Saturday, December 17:
Canada East vs. Canada West – 2 p.m. ET/11 a.m. PT
Sweden vs. United States – 7 p.m. ET/4 p.m. PT
“We came in as a group of 22 that had not played together, we wanted to build a foundation. We have done a lot of good things, come together as a team and grown. We have two days left to put a Canada jersey on; this is a chance our guys may not get again and we will take advantage of that. The mood was a little down tonight, but we had a good chat and our leaders stood up. We are excited for tomorrow; the journey is just beginning.”
• Canada East assistant coach Derek Smith (Belleville, Ont./Wellington, OJHL) on the opportunity ahead.
“We are happy to go to the semifinals [and have] the chance to play for a medal, but it was not the outcome we wanted [tonight]. We obviously wanted a win, but we get to play tomorrow which is the main thing. It is nice to see my family and friends up in the stands, everyone wants to score in front of their family playing for Team Canada. It is a pretty cool experience.”
• Brownlee on the opportunity to play in front of family.
TSN and RDS, the official broadcast partners of Hockey Canada will broadcast the bronze medal and gold medal games from the Cornwall Civic Complex; please check local listings for details. All preliminary-round games and semifinals are livestreamed for purchase at HockeyCanada.ca.
For more information on the 2022 World Junior A Challenge, please visit HockeyCanada.ca or follow through social media on Facebook and Twitter.